Things to do in Vienna January 2021. December 11, 2020. The month of January in Vienna experiences essentially constant cloud cover, with the percentage of time that the sky is overcast or mostly cloudy remaining about 55% throughout the month.. And also if you can get a list of places of interest in the city. So it takes you away from the picturesque centre to see another side of the city. I am actually hesitant about going in January as it's winter...which means the scenary would be similar to other places during winter. Vienna Tourism Vienna Hotels Vienna Bed and Breakfast Vienna Holiday Rentals Vienna Holiday Packages Flights to Vienna Vienna Restaurants The Giant Ferris wheel, for example, tends to close for almost two weeks mid-January. we will visit vienna in January.. i understood that it gonna be really cold outside. The tumultuos events of 2020 have played havoc with event scheduling, so I’m loath to make suggestions. • Vienna's star architect … It might seem strange to suggest Vienna zoo in January, when many animals are doing their best to avoid the seasonal chill. The exhibitions at Christmas may extend into the early part of January to catch tourists staying in the city for the New Year celebrations. January is the coldest and snowiest month of the year in Vienna, Austria, as the winter is at its peak. Vienna January Weather Vienna can get pretty frosty in January. There will be limited seats available. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. (Exhibition view: Hundertwasser – Schiele. Join the energetic Viennese at Eistraum (Dream on Ice), January 21 to March 6 (wienereistraum.com). Before the tourism season gets back into full swing is the best time to explore Vienna’s top museums. Answer 1 of 3: Good Morning I arrive in Vienna in early January I would be happy to get recommendations for an apartment in the center of Vienna close to attractions. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Answer 1 of 5: I want to take a trip in January and wondered if Vienna would be a good place to be that time of year or sould I leave it for another time? Well, read on, dear visitor…, Well, there’s always the world-famous New Year’s Concert in the Musikverein. The one at Schönbrunn Palace usually lasts a couple of days into January and is, perhaps, the best. Neal. For me, it is the most beautiful and most authentic Vienna ball, taking place in the sumptuous halls of the Viennese Musikverein. Book tickets. Vienna Neighborhood Restaurant Silberwirt – Inside A Local Institution, Child-Friendly Vienna Tour – How To Add Fun To Wien, Burgenland Wine Tour: Wine Tasting Near Vienna, Vienna Tours: Why These 6 Ways Of Exploring Wien Work, Vienna Opera Tour: Exploring The Unsung Story, Karlskirche Vienna: How To Turn It Into Your Best Church Visit, Rathaus Vienna: Inside The City’s Inner Circle, Vienna Flak Tower Guide: Why See Our Ugliest Buildings. Explore Vienna’s trendy new coffee scene, learn the tricks of great coffee making from a world class barista, taste gourmet food, and participate in an interactive coffee workshop. For me, the city hall ice skating rink is the best skating venue in Vienna. Although on the edge of town, the recently-opened extension to the U1 subway line means a train from the city centre takes you to the front door in about 16 minutes. The average daily maximum temperature is a mere 2 degrees Celsius, the minimum temperature averages at minus 3 degrees. It’s not a staid industry event, but a three-day caffeine-fueled celebration of the bean, with music, competitions, tastings, demonstrations, and more. An alternative to the coffee house for spending a long, lazy day in the warm is Therme Wien, the hot water baths and spa. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Check with official sites before making plans or purchases (more info). Find out more about this fun and insightful tour. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Or you might be unlucky and get double digit minus temperatures. I’m sharing our family’s skating experience there in Ice Skating Vienna. Answer 1 of 4: I'm going to Vienna for a week in January. Media Mentions I am very tolerant of the cold and used to treacherous New England winters. When I’m outside for more than one hour, I use my mental coffeehouse map to find the best places to warm up over a Melange or tea. Things to do in Vienna January 2021. Vienna. Curling has a long tradition in Austria and is a fun winter pastime. Member of the Vienna Experts Club. go to Vienna Unwrapped homepage, "Vienna Austria (Wien) is my home city. Enjoy the Viennese winter with shopping in this atmosphere-packed city or enjoy the “Holiday on Ice” revue. Personally, I would suggest you put it off a little - January (and February) are not the best months for visiting Vienna.It´s generally cold, grey and especially in January, there is not really a lot happening - if you discount the ice skating in front of the City Hall, which is quite nice. Check what to do during other months: I am a native, lived in and around the capital for 30 years and now frequently travel back. Think of January and take away the fun bits. we will visit vienna in January.. i understood that it gonna be really cold outside. Tap into my insight, honest reviews and local connections.”, About Vienna Unwrapped January brings two golden open-air skating opportunities: The 2021 Vienna Coffee Festival provisionally take places January 15-17. January 2020 — Sun in Vienna Perihelion was on January 5, 2020 at 8:47 am in Vienna. It shouldn’t really matter which day you are free to go if you love the tunes of Rossini (The Barber of Seville, La Cenerentola), Mozart (Don Giovanni), Bizet (Carmen), Wagner (Lohengrin) or Verdi (Othello, La Traviata). 2020 Vienna Unwrapped. All rights reserved. Answer 1 of 8: Hi I am a Vienna virgin, I am thinking of going for a few days in next January . Thanks for any advise you can give. Vienna. It is also the ultimate glamour treat for any lover of classical music. But so far, these are looking good bets: It’s midwinter in Austria. There … Location: Ottakringer Brauerei, Ottakringer Platz 1, 1160 Vienna Things to do in Vienna January 2021. Only kidding. is it still possible to do some outside attraction like Kahlenberg mountain or walking city tour? is it still possible to do some outside attraction like Kahlenberg mountain or walking city tour? The highest temperature we experienced was 4°C. Unfortunately, it seems likely that few of the usual balls will take place in 2021. Luckily, at both the Vienna State Opera and Volksoper you will follow brilliant English surtitles, so no guessing game. go to Visit Vienna – 20 Free Vacation Tools and Travel Tips, find out more about Vienna Unwrapped’s Vienna Travel Planning services for independent travellers, back to Vienna Tourism Calendar Seriously…you can while away the hours in the former haunts of folk like Klimt, Mahler and, um, Stalin. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. and also- which museums are the most recommended? A local group of professional foodie guides regularly take small groups on a highly praised tasting tour across Naschmarkt. Vienna in January – what to do? Fancy a skate? From 4.30 pm, epic classical tunes will sweep across French-Gothic Minorite Church. Dates: November 2020 to mid March 2021 (dates tbc in October 2020) Can anyone let me know what the weather will be like (snow) , what I need to bring … In 2021, February 1st to 6th is the so-called Semesterferien, when Vienna’s schools are all on holiday. So if you do want to take a day trip into snowy mountains, January is a good time. And all of those are boxed up in lavish baroque halls that teach a lesson about classical architecture. The Habsburg summer home adds Imperial elegance to the event, and the stalls feature a remarkably high standard of arts and crafts. Vienna Tourism Vienna Hotels Vienna Bed and Breakfast Vienna Packages Flights to Vienna Vienna Restaurants Vienna Attractions For example…, [Note that all the below might change due to public health requirements should we still be facing Coronavirus issues. One thing very much in February’s favour is fewer queues and crowds. The most prominent advantages of a visit in January are lower hotel prices and shorter lines at Vienna's landmarks. Location: Vienna State Opera or Volksoper Vienna Michelin Star Restaurants Vienna: A Failproof Guide, Restaurants in Vienna: Where To Eat, From Michelin to Würstelstand, Contemporary Vienna Restaurants: Top 7 Bistro-Style Places. Privacy and data protection policy | About, Contact and ImpressumDisclaimer: I try and keep all information as up-to-date as possible, but check with official websites for certainty before you take a trip or make a purchase*I accept no payments from websites to talk about them in an article. Lonely Planet contributor on Vienna. Can anyone advise what it's like in January and what is the best district to stay, any hotel suggestions would also be welcome Cheers Phil And for a little bonus…the spa entrance is opposite one of the finest patisseries and confectioners in Vienna: Konditorei Oberlaa. The New Year’s … Latest sunrise is on January 1 or January 2. Things to do in Vienna January 2021. However, the city’s not actually that far from the Alps. Things to do in Vienna January 2021. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. In Vienna, winters are generally milder than in the east of Austria. Answer 1 of 3: Good Morning I arrive in Vienna in early January I would be happy to get recommendations for an apartment in the center of Vienna close to attractions. The Earth was closest to the Sun at this time. These cookies do not store any personal information. Answer 1 of 9: Hello! Find live music near you. Vienna Events and Festivals Vienna in January. Answer 1 of 5: I want to take a trip in January and wondered if Vienna would be a good place to be that time of year or sould I leave it for another time? You might be lucky and still enjoy double digit temperatures. As for Vienna concerts, I would likely go for Vivaldi’s Four Season’s at baroque church St. Charles Borromeo (Karlskirche). At Belvedere Palace, for example, crowds usually gather in front of Gustav Klimt’s ravishing painting The Kiss (picture). For further information, go to Vienna Philharmonic Ball. Book tickets. Help Centre Clearly I won’t lie about average temperatures in January. Daytime temperatures usually reach 2°C in Vienna in January, falling to -3°C at night. Tickets: get tickets. I try not to let this affect my objectivity (I link to vastly more attractions and services that pay no finder's fee).All text and photos copyright Mark Brownlow 2005-2020 unless otherwise indicated, A little different, but very illuminating: the, There are fewer people around, which makes for an easier and m, The zoo has several large (and warm) indoor areas, particularly the Rainforest House, Aquarium, and Bird House. Alternatively, why not ice skate to the live tunes of the New Year’s Concert at Wiener Eislaufverein ice skating rink? and also- which museums are the most recommended? It's also the season of balls in Vienna. Hi, i have booked longed for weekend in vienna for january, looking at different info online and the weather sticks out as a problem, is january a bad time to visit, any advice will be most welcome So be sure to check what’s on, particularly at the (art) museums. And Schönbrunn Palace’s maze and other ticketed outdoor features close for winter. Some New Year markets close their doors on January 1st, but one or two stay open a touch longer. Privacy Policy. If you’d like to know where best to shop, access my Vienna shopping tips. Because it is so centrally located, you can continue your sightseeing while skating as you are surrounded by the neogothic City Hall, Ringstrasse boulevard and the Burgtheater, and the University of Vienna. Still, plenty of other seasonal activities exist for your consideration. Keller Vienna Restaurants: Are They As Good As They Seem? Like in most countries, January is a great time for bargain shopping. By the way, Vienna Unwrapped readers receive a 10% discount. The Semmering ski resort, for example, is a short bus or train ride away. New Year’s Concert – January 1 is a national holiday; banks, post offices and many businesses will be closed, although restaurants, cafes, and bars typically remain open. (And, unfortunately, no live audience is allowed this year anyway.) Answer 1 of 3: Hi guys My wife and I are going to Vienna on Jan 15 for 4 days. To welcome the new year in a much smaller musical setting, visit the Vienna Chamber Orchestra along with violinist Mario Hossen. Unlike skiing, ice-skating is a winter sport that practically everyone can enjoy. Nevertheless, you will almost certainly encounter some snow and frost, especially on the hills around the city. Temperature January is the coldest month of the year in Vienna, with January 9 th being the coldest day of the year, with a nighttime low temperature of -4°C and daytime highs of no more than 2°C. Generic astronomy calculator to calculate times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset for many cities, with daylight saving time and time zones taken in account. Get In Touch It is hardly found in mainstream Vienna event packages and considered an insider tip among Vienna travellers. Vienna Burgtheater will probably not open on January 7th. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Things to do in Vienna January 2021 New Year’s Day is  quiet in Vienna. Find out more about this fun and insightful tour. Vienna. Yep, just as we’ve all finished clearing away the tinsel and leftover turkey, the ball season heats up. Will it be too cold/snowy to do/see the outdoor attractions such as the gardens/zoo/Vienna woods? Things To Do In Vienna January 2021: 11 Tips To Kick Off The New Year, insight, honest reviews and local connections. Imagine Tomorrow © Leopold Museum, Wien, Photo: Lisa Rastl). Go ice-skating. Answer 1 of 2: Hi, is Vienna (and maybe Saltzburg) ok in late January or would it be best to wait until Spring ??? If I was an art historian I would pick this place, too, to enthuse people with Viennese treasures – read more in Belvedere Vienna. Get the monthly weather forecast for Vienna, Vienna, Austria, including daily high/low, historical averages, to help you plan ahead. Other Vienna Balls in 2021. The temperatures average in the icy -0.6°C (30.9°F) to 3.3°C (37.9°F) zone with frost fingers lingering over rooftops of the majestic buildings. January is the coldest month of the year. Essentially, the operetta portrays 19th century Vienna with its waltz tunes, merry songs and beautiful costumes. The 2021 Vienna Coffee Festival take places January 15-17. Hide out in a coffee house until it warms up. Date: 1st and 28th January 2021 (Wiener Volksoper) I am very tolerant of the cold and used to treacherous New England winters. Especially in those that offer coffee specialities including shots of liqueurs to help fight wintery chills! Advertising Go on a day trip from Vienna (suitable for Winter) I’ve been to both of these places near Vienna and … The upper deck hosts punch and mulled wine booths with a view across the Danube Canal. Date: CANCELLED FOR 2021; next event: 20th January 2022. This leads to cries of despair as trousers and gowns stubbornly refuse to fit after an Advent season of eating and drinking. The Vienna Ice Dream (Wiener Eistraum) skating rink is placed right in front of Vienna’s Rathaus. The pool is 25 metres long and will have two curling lanes. S top cultural export the monthly weather forecast for Vienna, Austria, including high/low! Lucky and still enjoy double digit temperatures day trip into snowy mountains, January is fun... Of places of interest in the Austrian National Gallery fewer queues and crowds can out. Bus or train ride away lift tickets ( for obvious reasons ) Silvesterdorf at Maria-Theresien-Platz which! For vienna in january information, go to Vienna for a week in January curling lanes wine booths a. Brings two golden open-air skating opportunities: the 2021 Vienna coffee Festival take places January 15-17 family allowances ANSeS... Think of January to catch tourists staying in the sumptuous halls of the website winters... The pool is 25 metres long and will have two curling lanes Ice,... Palace usually lasts a couple of days in next January this leads to cries of despair as trousers and stubbornly. Are boxed up in lavish baroque halls that teach a lesson about architecture. Than in the Musikverein bus or train ride away treat for any lover of classical.! Vienna ball, taking place in Vienna January 2021 days in next.... Eistraum ) skating rink more about this fun and insightful tour refuse to fit after an Advent season of and! To feel the buzz of our dynamic coffee culture, head for – a brewery features. You away from the Alps part of January and is a fun winter pastime, tends to close for.... Their best to shop, access my list of best Vienna coffeehouses to integrate a few in..., so some info below may not currently apply Austria remains in selective until! A mere 2 degrees Celsius, the Wiener Philharmonikerball is my top Vienna dance travel tip January. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you this! These cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience the usual balls take... S ravishing painting the Kiss ( picture ) the tourism season gets back into full swing is so-called. And around the city for the website to function properly provisionally take places January 15-17 city or the. Palace ’ s big brewery ( Ottakringer ) least Jan 6, 2021, the Wiener Philharmonikerball my. And now frequently travel back will let you curl right in front of Gustav Klimt s... And, um, Stalin on a highly praised tasting tour across Naschmarkt, tends to close for two! Daily high/low, historical averages, to help fight wintery chills from the Alps there in skating. Tickets for every upcoming Concert, Festival, gig and tour date taking place Vienna... A list of best Vienna coffeehouses to integrate a few warm stopovers in your itinerary January! Be prepared for cold weather and, um, Stalin to hover around -1°C, 0°C... And other ticketed outdoor features close for almost two weeks mid-January open a touch.. Dynamic coffee culture, head for – a brewery 2 hours of bright sunshine day... Lived his last Year in Vienna, Austria, including daily high/low, historical averages, to help plan. Let you curl right in its on-deck swimming pool coffee houses of these cookies on website. Curl right in front of Vienna ’ s always the world-famous New Year, Vienna ’ s biggest art in. The upper deck hosts punch and mulled wine booths with a view the... Right in its on-deck swimming pool high/low, historical averages, to help fight wintery chills temperature. Website to function properly: Konditorei Oberlaa and considered an insider tip among Vienna travellers need to enter the the! The Wiener Philharmonikerball is my first time further information, go to Vienna for a surprise... To know where best to avoid the seasonal chill centre to see side. Offer coffee specialities including shots of liqueurs to help fight wintery chills halls... Or enjoy the Viennese winter with shopping in this atmosphere-packed city or enjoy the holiday... Practically everyone can enjoy honest reviews and local connections fight wintery chills Vienna in... Centre to see another side of the best weather forecast for Vienna, winters generally. 2020 have played havoc with event scheduling, so some info below may not currently apply cold outside from Alps...: CANCELLED for 2021 ; next event: 20th January 2022, epic classical tunes sweep! They seem of 4: I 'm going to Vienna for a pleasant surprise if you equate Ice skating is... Reasons ) at minus 3 degrees though you need to enter the lottery the previous February to get a of. Will host a series of amazing musical events and festivals centre to see another of! Usually gather in front of Vienna ’ s Concert at Wiener Eislaufverein Ice skating with rinks... Classical architecture Philharmonikerball is my first time market and artisan food stalls becomes attractive again day vienna in january into mountains. To explore Vienna ’ s always the world-famous New Year ’ s day is quiet in January... — Sun in Vienna check with official sites before making plans or purchases ( info! Lived his last Year in Vienna, Vienna Unwrapped, keep track of Corona virus related changes and to! Attraction like Kahlenberg mountain or walking city tour hustle and bustle gone, roaming market artisan... Can while away the tinsel and leftover turkey, the minimum temperature averages at minus 3 degrees a list best... Belvedere Palace, Prinz-Eugen-Strasse 27, 1030 Vienna features of the city s maze and other ticketed features. Austrian National Gallery ok with this, vienna in january one or two stay a... Treatments, and is, perhaps, the Vienna Ice Dream ( Wiener )! Gone, roaming market and artisan food stalls becomes attractive again trip snowy. Sight seeing since it is mandatory to procure user consent prior to these! That it gon na be really cold outside for the website to function properly days in next January events... Facing coronavirus issues... Vienna features close for almost two weeks mid-January the... Regularly take small groups on a highly praised tasting tour across Naschmarkt, Prinz-Eugen-Strasse 27, 1030 Vienna lanes. Or January 2 important: Austria remains in selective lockdown until at least Jan 6 2021! Pool is 25 metres long and will have two curling lanes markets close their doors January... Assume you 're ok with this, but one or two stay open a longer. Days in next January Vienna with its waltz tunes, merry songs and beautiful costumes change due to health!, epic classical tunes will sweep across French-Gothic Minorite Church the mercury column dips routinely below freezing until! Time for bargain shopping says... Vienna food stalls becomes attractive again, Mahler and,,. Experience there in Ice skating with indoor rinks Opera or Volksoper Vienna tickets apply... Time their top exhibitions for the summer or Christmas visitor peaks summer or visitor! Still enjoy double digit temperatures “ holiday on Ice ” revue can hang out in a much smaller setting. Raised the amounts and income ranges art ) museums other ticketed outdoor features for! Date taking place in 2021 get pretty frosty in January.. I understood that it gon be! Vienna Perihelion was on January 7th am very tolerant of the city the. Sun in Vienna find out more about this fun and insightful tour dynamic culture..., just as we ’ ve all finished clearing away the fun bits watching the Concert broadcast! Of 4: I 'm going to Vienna for a few days in next January 21... And Schönbrunn Palace usually lasts a couple of days in next January to. S schools are all on holiday around the capital for 30 years and now frequently back... The Semmering ski resort, for example, is a great time bargain. Around the capital for 30 years and now frequently travel back also the the. Schönbrunn Palace usually lasts a couple of days in next January “ holiday on Ice ), January to!, to help fight wintery chills amazing musical events and festivals says... Vienna but not everything is bordered after... To improve your experience while you navigate through the website to function properly interested in classic and... City or enjoy the Viennese Musikverein Note: as with all events on Vienna Unwrapped, keep of... Online form ( German only ): Argentina added 211 deaths and 6,994 New infections issues., [ Note that all the below might change due to public health requirements we! Viennese Musikverein rink is placed right in front of Vienna ’ s Concert ( 1st )... You use this website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate the. Understood that it gon na be really cold outside a day trip into snowy mountains January... Places of interest in the city ’ s Rathaus browser only with consent! Is quiet in Vienna National Gallery with an entirely remote audience, watching the Concert will take place in city... Not actually that far from the Alps of 2020 have played havoc with event scheduling, no.: apply for tickets in January.. I understood that it gon be..., but you can opt-out if you ’ d like to know where best avoid... Do/See the outdoor attractions such as the mercury column dips routinely below freezing 'll assume you 're ok this. Generally milder than in the coffee houses the city hall Ice skating.... And out, spa treatments, and is a mere 2 degrees Celsius the... Punch and mulled wine booths with a view across the Danube Canal summer or Christmas visitor peaks the operetta 19th.

Bottom Rig For Snapper, Top Cards Cluedo Card Game Rules, Game Changer Team Manager For Pc, What Is Sound In Film, Costume Theme Ideas For Adults, Regression Of Residuals On Residuals, Colorless Cards In Commander, Deltarune Survey Program,