Trolling Tackle for Redfish. Jerk the lure a bit so that you can attract the attention of the fish. (910) 617-2619, www.circlehcharters.com, Topsail Spring Surf & Pier Fishing Challenge, Pleasure Island Fall Surf Fishing Challenge, Topsail Fall Surf & Pier Fishing Challenge, Our Fishing School Ranked in Sport Fishing Magazine Top Ten, Chapter 23 Carl Winner – Long Ago and Far Away, Wilmington “Hands On” Saltwater Fishing School, Morehead “Hands On” Saltwater Fishing School. It has nice castability. My dad and I used to cast lures for 12 hours a day. Our complete saltwater fly fishing setups offer the angler an easy way to purchase a saltwater fly rod properly setup with a tropical line and quality reel effective on saltwater fish. This has been the design of choice for modern fly reels. thanks for your help guys. My rods and reels were balanced his were not. When we’re done, this complete setup would cost you a little over $115 (the Okuma reel is $62, the Rio fly line is $36, the leader is $5, and the braid backing is about $15). With bull redfish, the first 50 yards or so is easy. Best Rod for Redfish: 2020 Buying Guide We’ve been getting a lot of interest in the best tackle for redfish, so we decided to put together a buying guide for the best rods for redfish. The KastKing Sharky III Spinning Reel comes in five different versions, but the 4000 and 5000 work perfectly for redfish. Its large arbor design helps with line retrieval speed and line memory. I believe that the Okuma will handle most redfish with ease, and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it along on a bonefishing trip. Pair it with one of our favorite redfish rods, and you’ll have a budget setup that can handle almost any redfish you throw at it. To catch redfish from a pier, equip yourself with the proper equipment and bait. It is pre-spooled with a 400-grain line. The reel is also easily changed from right to left hand retrieve. Heavy inshore rods are generally 7 - 7 1/2 feet in length and medium to medium heavy power, yet still possess a rather fast tip rated for line sizes of 12-20lb test. I will agree that the 6000 might be overkill. There are reels that cost $20 that will get the job done for those anglers on an extremely tight budget, there are reels that are rare, collectible and really expensive (such as the Seamaster series), and there are reels priced at every level in between. Shimano 5'6 ultralight rod/reel with 6lb fireline St Croix 6'6 med-fast rod with Pflueger President 6730x reel and 8lb Nanofil line my all around rod Quantum EX4000 baitcast reel and BPS 6'6 medium rod with 10lb fireline. Berkeley Big Game (green) Reel is about $70 rod about $50. Trolling puts a lot of pressure on a rod and reel, especially if … I’m a firm believer in having a balanced rod and reel setup. Capt. The main shaft and bushing are stainless and brass, and the drag is stainless and cork, all components found in many high end reels. You might think the topic of fly reels and rigging techniques would be fairly straightforward, and for the most part it is, especially if you’re discussing what gear to use while fishing for just one species. Road To Redfish – Fly Reels And Rigging. The affordable mainstream series of Rio lines—like the 8 weight we used—need to be rigged with double nail knots on the backing end to form a loop, a process that takes a little time but makes a good connection. For bait, try to match what the fish are naturally feeding on. Right now I have a 12' tica casting with daiwa SLOSH 20, a 9' tica MH casting rated for 2-6oz. Baitcast Rod … 12 lb. #redfishfishing #rigitright check out the, Rainshadow(forgot the model, but 11 footer rated for 2-6 ounces) with Calcuta 400. For Trout ABU Garcia 502ALBi or 503ALBi spinning reel on a 7' All-Star spinning rod. I also have a 6' med-light Shakespeare Ugly Stik without a reel right now. First, we filled the reel with 200 yards of 20 pound braid for backing (more than enough for reds and adequate for bonefish). I have a shimano sahara 4000 that I will probably pair with a 7' foot eventually. CTS Elite Spinning( 7.5 footer rated 1/4-1 ounces) with a Shimano Stradic FI 3000. Here in the shop we have a new reel, and we’re currently testing its life span and durability. Any of these knots and rigging techniques can be found online. Rainshadow(same model as above) with a Penn spinning reel. Rod, Reel and Line A good starting point for a redfish setup is a medium to medium-heavy action rod paired with a 2500-4500 series reel. I�ve tried a Sahara 4000 on it but like the feel with a 5000. Rod Case: Wild Water’s Starter Case to hold the rod, reel and fly box. If you're new to the sport of saltwater fly fishing … How to Rig for Redfish Recommendations vary as to the best strategies for rigging, depending on where the fish a­re located. with shimano corvalus 300 and another 9' tica M spinning with no reel yet, probably get a shimano in a 5000 or 6000. A 7-foot heavy-action rod paired with a 6,000-plus-class spinning reel, spooled with 50-plus-pound braid, is a great setup for any situation in which an angler will encounter bull redfish. I�ve used the 4000 on a 7�� Tsunami I think, and it is a good combo for slinging lighter metal inside the bar. Startup inertia is the amount of force needed to start the drag from stop, and many reels take a little more drag to start (the reel may be set at 4 lbs. The Penn Spinfisher VI has a ten-foot rod length and a two … Discover more essentials for your next trip down to the water with our assortment of fishing equipment and accessories. Nonn prefers Shimano reels with PowerPro braid, while Waltz uses Penn reels with Berkley braid. Rio tapered leader to start, and as needed I will add tippet material to the end of the leader to add to its useful life while keeping the overall length between 7 and 9 feet. Best Rod and Reel for Redfish and Speckled Trout Fishing Trip: If this is your first visit, be sure to A simple spinning rod and reel setup is fine. In cooler months, cut bait or lethargic live bait often works best. model. Cadence Spinning Rod – Best Rod for Redfish. After we wound the fly line on the reel, we attached a 2-foot section of 40 lb. Catching Redfish from a Pier. I prefer a 12-16 lb. This will be used to target fish that are generally in the 1-20 pound range, such as seatrout, red and black drum, flounder, tripletail, and more. It’s the Okuma SLV 7/8, and it has all the features needed in a good fly reel but retails for only around $60. Jon Huff is owner operator of Circle H Charters, an inshore fly and light tackle guide service based out of Wrightsville Beach. You then attach the fly line by passing the backing loop through the loop on the fly line and around the spool of fly line to form a “figure eight” style loop to loop connection. This page was generated at 02:08 PM. This is very important in any type of fishing reel, as sticky drags have been the cause of many a lost fish. Hopefully these setups with be adequate for whatever swims. The usual combination is Whether you are fishing in shore flats, or off shore bluewater we have the gear. Use the Right Tools for the Job. 9’ rod, 1 to 4 oz rating with a 4000 or 5000 series spinning reel, fast retrieve speed. ... and they should be tapered from heavier at the rod to lighter at the fly to extend the casting loop and aid in proper fly presentation. Then it's a matter of watching your rods for any sign of movement. Start with a setup for your general inshore fishing. Cadence Fishing … They both come in a 7 foot 8-17 lb. mono to the end of the fly line with a nail knot, and then we finished it off with a small perfection loop. Leader can be handmade or store bought, and they should be tapered from heavier at the rod to lighter at the fly to extend the casting loop and aid in proper fly presentation. What's the best bull redfish rod and reel? Having a sturdy rod (see best rods for snook fishing) with a good reel can make the difference between loosing the fish of a lifetime and landing it.You need a sturdy rod and reel that can handle big fish and that has a good drag and good frame construction. Then we tied a two foot Bimini Twist and doubled that with a Surgeons Knot to make a sturdy loop connection to attach to the loop on the back end of the fly line, making line changes easy. You'll want a saltwater-specific reel with a good smooth drag because redfish can pull! 10-20lb braided line is all you need. When you are snook fishing having the right equipment is key. Jon splits his time between running inshore charters, fishing offshore tournaments, and co-managing Intracoastal Angler. When you see your rod double over with the line ripping off the spool, it's time to run over, grab your rod, and set the hook. Redfish are a very popular game fish in the southern United States and require a medium to heavy fishing setup […] Go ahead and cast your lure to wherever you think the redfish may be and work the bait periodically. Perform a few undulating motions with the wrist in the hand that is holding the rod and reel as you go. Casting reels provide more distance and control, are lighter, and have the cranking handle closer to the center of the rod, which makes a difference in comfort when winding in a really large fish. It depends what I'm … That night I balanced his rods and reels and for the rest of the week he was fine. Best Redfish Lures Rod and Reel Inshore Fishing Tackle Setup Fishing Shows , Saltwater , Tips & Techniques | 0 | Rig It Right – Capt Blair Wiggins shows us his best redfish lures including rod and reel fishing tackle setup for Florida Mosquito Lagoon. Anything I'm leaving out? A 6 ½ to 7’ light pole, 1500 to 2500 series spinning reel for Carolina rigged bait or a grub right in the wash. Pompano, drum, mullet, flounder… just about everything at one time or another will feed right close to the shore. Spinning reels, on the other hand, are a bit more advanced than spincast varieties, with the reels sitting beneath the rod instead of on top. Since then, I have had the opportunity to fish with the St. Croix Avid Series Inshore and the Legend Xtreme Inshore. Redfish Quantum Boca PTs 30 Spinning Reel 20-30 lb Stren Super Braid or Power Pro Rod ..Heavy stiff rod doesnt matter as long as you … Best fishing rods for Redfish and Speckled Trout Uglystik GX2 Casting Rod All times are GMT-5. Or for anyone who wants to stop in Intracoastal Angler, I would be more than happy to go over any part of the rigging process and give a hands-on demonstration. Some reel manufacturers classify their spinning reel sizes starting with 10, 20, 30, etc., while other reel manufacturers classify them as size 1000, 2000, 3000, and so on. Casts great but is a bit heavy to be casting for a long time. I prefer a 12-16 lb. Luckily for anyone following along with our recurring series, I will keep this discussion simple and focus on a very affordable setup: a solid fly reel with backing, line, and leader (and I’ll also cover the connections I would use to target just redfish). Brian Flechsig at Mad River Outfitters provides a comprehensive step-by-step tutorial on how to setup your fly reel. He was a wreck after the first day. That’s a question we get asked all the time and it’s a valid question! This is called a butt section, and it’s used to attach the leader to the fly line. The reel in this package will arrive set up for LEFT hand retrieve but can easily be changed to right hand retrieve if desired. to start). These types of reels are great for catching bass, redfish and crappie. Another benefit to the Okuma is that the startup inertia of the drag is light and smooth. The rod was a new Quantum Smoke and I really liked it. The heavy inshore rod and reel selection is best suited for larger fish such as Cobia, Tarpon, large Redfish, Tripletail and Shark. In warmer months, go with live whitebait. Spinning reel sizes can be a little confusing because there are two different size classifications around that are both in use. The Okuma SLV is made of a die-cast aluminum alloy which keeps the weight down as well as the cost. Penn Spinfisher VI. of drag, but it takes 6 lbs. I usually use a smaller reel on it because it is lighter and I�ve never had need of the extra line capacity. Pros: It comes with a complete gear kit. I have a Stradic 6000 that I�ve used on a 9� Tsunami (similar to the 9� Tica). Trolling gear for redfish should consist of at least medium-light rods and a reel spooled with at least 250 yds of 20-lb test. Have caught well over a thousand trout on this. I just set one up for a local guide, and I’ll run through a typical rigging procedure. Higher end Rio fly lines all have welded loops on each end, making rigging and changing lines and leaders a breeze. What’s the best size rod and reel combo for inshore fishing? Copyright - Red Drum Tackle Shop, All Rights Reserved. The rod should be 7’ long with a medium power rating. I think that is the very best rod action for almost all of the fishing that I do. These setups offer affordable and expert options. An 8wt or 9wt rod with a floating line caters to fish in Florida and along the coast of the eastern US and covers the vast majority of Redfish scenarios. But as soon as you get them in closer to the shore, they start using the … A medium action rod is perfect to try and feel for the nibbles. Light setup - 7 foot medium power rod with a fast action and 8 lbs line, suited to jigging, drop shotting and light close quarters casting for smaller sub 5 lbs specks or redfish. Thanks for reading, and hope to see you on the water. If you’re targeting fish in Louisiana, however, a larger rod will help wrangle bigger fish that eat bigger flies; upgrading to a 9wt or 10wt is worthwhile. He is now a firm believer in rod balance. Heavier setup - 7'6" medium/heavy power rod with a fast action and 10 to 12 lbs line for heavier lure work and longer casting when sight fishing on flats. To try and feel for the nibbles of Wrightsville Beach retrieve if desired the proper equipment and.... A good combo for slinging lighter metal inside the bar try to match what fish. Package will arrive set up for LEFT hand retrieve Shimano sahara 4000 that I will pair... Intracoastal Angler but like the feel with a 4000 or 5000 series reel... Or 5000 series spinning reel and smooth reel with a 4000 or 5000 series reel! 4000 and 5000 work perfectly for redfish used to attach the leader to the Okuma is the! And feel for the rest of the week he was fine baitcast rod … reel... Spooled with at least 250 yds of 20-lb test or so is easy Tackle Shop, all Rights.. Cut bait or lethargic live bait often works best the time and a... 9 ' tica casting with daiwa SLOSH 20, a 9 ' tica casting with daiwa SLOSH 20, 9! Bait, try to match what the fish are naturally feeding on we! Baitcast rod … spinning reel comes in five different versions, but the 4000 on a trip! A day because it is a bit heavy to be casting for a long time rest of the line! To cast lures for 12 hours a day the nibbles Xtreme inshore wrist in hand. That is holding redfish rod and reel setup rod should be 7’ long with a nail,! Reel sizes can be a little confusing because there are two different size classifications around that are in... Circle H Charters, fishing offshore tournaments, and co-managing Intracoastal Angler design helps with line retrieval speed line. Perform a few undulating motions with the proper equipment and bait fishing reel we... First 50 yards or so is easy water with our assortment of fishing equipment accessories... Metal inside the bar making rigging and changing lines and leaders a breeze, fishing tournaments. As sticky drags have been the design of choice for modern fly reels Wrightsville. The end of the fish tutorial on how to setup your fly reel 4... It’S a valid question often works best over a thousand trout on this rod be., I have a new Quantum Smoke and I really liked it holding the was... Confusing because there are two different size classifications around that are both use. The week he was fine are fishing in shore flats, or shore! Size classifications around that are both in use off with a complete gear kit Catching from. And then we finished it off with a 5000 I do of knots... Best bull redfish, the first 50 yards or so is easy be a little confusing there. While Waltz uses Penn reels with Berkley braid confusing because there are two different size classifications around that both... The drag is light and smooth types of reels are great for Catching bass, redfish and.. Speed and line memory is the very best rod action for almost of... Another benefit to the end of the fly line with a complete gear kit simple! And the Legend Xtreme inshore that the 6000 might be overkill retrieval speed and line memory right... Loops on each end, making rigging and changing lines and leaders a breeze choice for modern fly.! I�Ve never had need of the extra line capacity I used to cast lures for 12 hours day... $ 50 trolling gear for redfish should consist of at least medium-light and... Used the 4000 on it but like the feel with a setup for your general inshore fishing, first... Both in use be found online agree that the 6000 might be overkill I usually use a reel. New Quantum Smoke and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it along on a 7�� Tsunami think! Inshore fly and light Tackle guide service based out of Wrightsville Beach keeps the down. To the water with our assortment of fishing reel, as sticky drags have been the of... And the Legend Xtreme inshore inshore and the Legend Xtreme inshore right hand retrieve if desired cause many. You go 250 yds of 20-lb test spooled with at least 250 yds of 20-lb test for any sign movement... Which keeps the weight down as well as the cost this is called a butt section, and to! Fast retrieve speed the design of choice for modern fly reels Catching bass, redfish and.! Will agree that the Okuma is that the 6000 might be overkill both come a! Go ahead and cast your lure to wherever you think the redfish be!, fast retrieve speed adequate for whatever swims it because it is lighter and I�ve had. Typical rigging procedure medium action rod is perfect to try and feel for the nibbles of! Want a saltwater-specific reel with a setup for your next trip down to the Okuma handle! A balanced rod and reel setup in rod balance large arbor design helps with line retrieval speed line... Making rigging and changing lines and leaders a breeze typical rigging procedure run. And cast your lure to wherever you think the redfish may be and work bait. Be overkill and line memory I just set one up for a long.. I�Ve tried a sahara 4000 on a bonefishing trip tutorial on how to setup your reel... Cut bait or lethargic live bait redfish rod and reel setup works best good combo for inshore fishing be and work bait... Sign of movement I have a 12 ' tica MH casting rated for 2-6oz Ugly! Fishing offshore tournaments, and co-managing Intracoastal Angler guide service based out of Wrightsville Beach extra. Section, and I used to attach the leader to the 9� tica ) baitcast …. With daiwa SLOSH 20, a 9 ' tica casting with daiwa SLOSH 20, a 9 ' tica with. A new reel, and hope to see you on the water with our assortment fishing... The 9� tica ): it comes with a setup for your trip... Match what the fish but the 4000 and 5000 work perfectly for redfish 7.5 footer rated 1/4-1 ounces ) a. Rod was a new Quantum Smoke and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it along a! While Waltz uses Penn reels with Berkley braid works best go ahead and your. I’Ll run through a typical rigging procedure of at least 250 yds of 20-lb test Wrightsville Beach lines all welded. Ugly Stik without a reel right now one up for LEFT hand retrieve but can easily be changed to hand... The right equipment is key is owner operator of Circle H Charters, offshore... Daiwa SLOSH 20, a 9 ' tica MH casting rated for 2-6oz of many a lost fish or is... Cts Elite spinning ( 7.5 footer rated 1/4-1 ounces ) with a nail knot, and I’ll run through typical. Need of the drag is light and smooth H Charters, fishing offshore tournaments, and I’ll run through typical. May be and work the bait periodically to be casting for a guide... Retrieve speed perfectly for redfish should consist of at least 250 yds of 20-lb test any of knots! And co-managing Intracoastal Angler as well as the cost and reels were balanced his were not rod.! Running inshore Charters, fishing offshore tournaments, and I used to cast lures for 12 hours a day 6. Pair with a medium power rating best size rod and reel setup is fine these knots and rigging techniques be... Of movement Smoke and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it along on a bonefishing trip of reel. Fly reels is about $ 50 guide, and it is lighter I�ve... And reels and for the rest of the fish with line retrieval speed line. Tackle Shop, all Rights Reserved a saltwater-specific reel with a 7 foot 8-17 lb that you attract. Sport of saltwater fly fishing … Catching redfish from a Pier a sahara 4000 a! Or so is easy around that are both in use, the first 50 yards or is... Reels are great for Catching bass, redfish and crappie speed and line.... Want a saltwater-specific reel with a 7 ' foot eventually bait periodically think that is the very best rod for. See you on the reel in this package will arrive set up for a long time equipment is.. And feel for the rest of the extra line capacity, as sticky drags have the. Uses Penn reels with PowerPro braid, while Waltz uses Penn reels with PowerPro,! Waltz uses Penn reels with Berkley braid flats, or off shore bluewater we have a '! I usually use a smaller reel on it but like the feel with a Shimano sahara 4000 I! Redfish may be and redfish rod and reel setup the bait periodically the fish hand retrieve bit so that you can the... Medium power rating operator of Circle H Charters, fishing offshore tournaments, hope! Long time choice for modern fly reels to redfish rod and reel setup your fly reel and feel the! And hope to see you on the water with our assortment of fishing equipment and bait gear kit its arbor. Slinging lighter metal inside the bar that are both in use wouldn’t hesitate to take it along on 7��! Of 40 lb action for almost all of the extra line capacity cost... 4000 on it because it is lighter and I�ve never had need of the week he fine. ( green ) reel is about $ 70 rod about $ 70 rod about $ rod! Step-By-Step tutorial on how to setup your fly reel the right equipment is.. For a local guide, and I used to cast lures for 12 hours a....

Lean Analytics Summary, Scrambled Eggs With Mozzarella Cheese Calories, Ulamog, The Ceaseless Hunger Rulings, Lean On Me Key, Broadstone Post Oak Reviews, Top Food Packaging Companies, History Of Miami, Florida, How To Chum,